Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

`88 Sedan track car build - here's Siobhan! Made the front page of Jalopnik!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deutschman View Post
    Great car! Where can I get a front windshield banner/sun shade like the one you have?
    Thanks, man! She's mah baby. I've decided to start trying to make her look a little nicer as well, so bodywork will start happening soon.

The sun shade came from a place called Acromann. Here's a link: http://www.acromann.com/

They do all kinds of cool stuff. Takes quite a while to get the banners delivered, as they're overseas. I've had 2 of them made, and have been really happy with the quality!

And, in other news...as of the time of this post, I'm 15 days away from getting a half cage welded in the rear of the car. Can't wait!
    Originally posted by LJ851
    kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
    #teamross
    Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

You will love the difference the welded half cage makes! So stiff :giggle:
      sigpic
      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

You will love the difference the welded half cage makes! So stiff :giggle:
        Heheheh! That's awesome info! Didn't know if the half cage would make a difference or not to the stiffness of the chassis. Happy to hear that it does!

14 days. 14 loooong days!

#teamross

Comment

Yeah if you go up a steep driveway at an angle one of your rear wheels will lift off the ground.
          sigpic
          "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Yeah if you go up a steep driveway at an angle one of your rear wheels will lift off the ground.
            Hahaha! Awesome! I'm getting it installed in four days. Really excited!

Knocked out another project this weekend. I decided that I wanted to get the early model iS airdam mounted on the car. Siobhan is an `88, so she came with the late model valence. I like the looks of both equally, but the thing that made me want to run the early mode airdam was the ability to easily fab & run a deeper splitter. I had the airdam (conventiently already painted black), and an early model valence that my friend Matt Vela had given me. And my friend Erick Clark fabbed up a set of the 3 inner brackets for the airdam. Levent at Guten Parts conveniently had the metal bar in stock. So, I grabbed a handful of bolts, washers and nylon insert locknuts, and set to work.

The early model valence from Matt was in perfect shape, but it was Zinno, and my car is Schwarz...

I used a drill with a wire brush attachment to remove the rubberized coating.

Progress pic.

I left the red paint on where there was no coating and just scuffed it to give the primer something to bite onto.

Ready for Primer

Just had the rust colored primer hanging around the garage. This piece is mostly obscured by the airdam, so it doesn't really have to look perfect, but I've never really done anything like this before, so I wanted to get some practice in.

Did 3 primer coats, 3 color coats, 4 clear coats...and still nicked it up installing the part :/

Not bad for my first attempt. Is was crazy humid yesterday, and in retrospect, probably should have let each coat dry longer. I'll know for next time.

Installing the airdam brackets that Erik made

These are GREAT pieces, really well made!

Test-fitting the airdam

Looks good! It's strange to me that the top of the airdam just rests on that metal bar, and is only attached to the brackets at the bottom of the airdam. Seems to work just fine, though!

Pulled the old valence

I think the old valence is going to my friend, Samir

That left me with this

That rubber tray in front has to be trimmed for the early model valence to work (I just deleted mine).

New valence on

Bolts right up very straightforward

And all done!

Really a pretty straighforward installation. I am going to drilll a hole in the rear of the airdam and the valence towards the back of each side & then run a bolt through there, so the sides of the airdam have some support and don't sag down.

Next step is to get a splitter made. And work more on the Zender wing. Always more to do!!
            Last edited by kingston; 05-26-2014, 06:59 PM.

#teamross

Comment

Originally posted by kingston View Post

Installing the airdam brackets that Erik made

[B]These are GREAT pieces, really well made!
              Considering making a set of these on a planned schedule and start marketing them. Glad they work out for you!
              1989 325i Cabrio
              tyzg

Midwest E30 Owners Gruppe Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by srvE30 View Post
                Considering making a set of these on a planned schedule and start marketing them. Glad they work out for you!
                Erik, they worked out great!! VERY pleased with the fitment & quality of the parts.

In other news...
                One day until I get the rear 1/2 cage installed!!

;D

#teamross

Comment

Originally posted by kingston View Post
                  Erik, they worked out great!! VERY pleased with the fitment & quality of the parts.

In other news...
                  One day until I get the rear 1/2 cage installed!!

;D
                  How'd the cage turn out ;D
                  sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Hah! Funny you should ask! I was just logging in to post a quick pic & a link.

The cage is IN! Ross Gredys (AKA IronFreak) did an AWESOME job on the cage!

LOVE the cage! I just need to paint it now, and mount up the harnesses. Here's a link to a series of pictures I took while Ross was working on the cage: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6273234&type=1

#teamross

Comment

Looks Awesome !

well done.
                      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Sweet cage!
                        sigpic

Comment

Glad you guys like the cage :) Ross did an amazing job. He also welded in floor mounting points for the lap belts for my harnesses. Ross is considering doing fab-work for his full-time job. If you get a chance, please like his facebook page, Cageallthethings!
                          Last edited by kingston; 06-02-2014, 09:07 PM. Reason: spelling pwns me!

#teamross

Comment

I have a little free time today, so it's time to get the cage painted! It was starting to get surface rust, and that's no bueno. I knew that would happen, but I've had a crazy week and just couldn't do anything about it until now.

Started by sanding down the tubes with 180 grit sandpaper...

All the rust is off. Also hit the cage with some pre-paint spray, let it sit for about a minute, then wiped it off.

I used Duplicolor self-etching primer on the cage tubes...

Did a few coats. A couple of spots have runs. It is difficult to get a nice, light, even coat everywhere when some of the spots are hard to get to at all! I smoothed them out as best as possible. She may not ever be perfect (she is a track car, after all), but I DO want her to look as good as possible!

Paint will go down in about 30 minutes :D

#teamross

Comment

Ill check back in 15 min. We expect to see pictures.

Comment

Ask, and ye shall receive!!

Continued with Dupicolor, since that's what I used for primer...

VERY happy with the results!

Once the pant is all dry, I'll get the 6pt harnesses all set up. Can't wait!!

#teamross

Comment

Working...
                                X